Clearing the plot
 |
| Plot Entrance 12.8.2011 |
 |
| Before a Strim 12.8.2011 |
After years of neglect 2011 is the year to tame the plot. In the spring and early summer several car loads of rubbish went to the tip. It's amazing what overgrown weeds can hide. Bags of builders’ rubble, the remains of an old mattress, and bits of metal, indistinguishable plastic and broken glass were all duly dispatched. None of the waste was mine and it was hard to understand why anyone would just dump theirs as they had.
The first attempt at strimming and lopping took about two weeks work. The focus has been to keep the weeds down enough to prevent seed setting. With each visit the strimming got easier. A month ago the job took 4 ½ hours and used 2 ½ litres of fuel.
Two days ago the job took 2 ½ hours and one litre of fuel. I take this as a sign that it’s working. I don’t know if I’ve managed to avoid all the seeds but the growth is significantly weaker. It was a satisfying visit that produced some potatoes; they were from two plants, strays left over from last years attempt to clear some of the ground (by planting spuds).
 |
| After a Strim 12.8.2011 |
The plants I put in 14 months ago to screen the garden from a neighbour are thriving. Last time I was there I ate a handful of blackberries from the thornless bramble I planted. Now I need to find out how to train/prune it before that needs the strimmer too! A friend donated a few plants; they too are thriving despite a dry summer. I hope this means that the soil is good.
It might just be a garden one day.
P.S. Working out how to use this blog is harder than using the strimmer!
No comments:
Post a Comment