Thursday, 15 September 2011

6 down: 219 to go

I cleared the weeds from about 6 square metres of ground today; only 219 to go. About 5 of the 6 are already planted with a few wildlife friendly shrubs and herbs. I managed to clear the weeds leaving behind most of the self seeded fennel for the hoverflies and birds. The other square metre is just in open ground. The rain has definitely softened the land and it is getting easier to get to the roots.
Harvested some more blackberries and ate them on the job. I try not to think of what may be inside them and one in particular tasted a little rich in protein! My Grandma would be turning in her grave if she knew. When I was about ten years old she gave me a graphic lesson in the grubs that sometimes live inside the fruit. She filled a sink with salt water and tipped in some blackberries and we watched and waited. Little white grubs started to crawl out from the middle. After about half an hour she rinsed the fruit and we ate it. I was under strict instructions never to eat blackberries straight from the plant again! I never did do as I was told though, they taste too good not to just eat.
Also harvested a few hazelnuts, last time I was there they were very much still on the bush, unripe, and out of reach. Today they were mostly on the ground and mostly already eaten by the wildlife. I suspect squirrels and mice. The Hazel overhangs from the corner of the garden by 7 metres, the lowest branches curve over about 6 or 7 feet off the ground, it’s massive. Once the leaves fall it will be coppiced so that it is more manageable and doesn’t take up so much room.
Brought back more hawthorn berries too.
I must remember to take the camera with me next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment