Last Friday I took another car load of rubbish to the tip. This time it was mainly rubble and broken concrete blocks. I also tried digging at various places around the plot. The rain we have had seems to have softened the ground a little. There are places that it will be relatively easy to clear but places that the ground is still very hard and tangled with roots. I really want to get on with the job and see more creative progress, as opposed to cutting things down.
![]() |
| Original 9 year old scribble on scrap paper |
I designed a layout (if it could be called a design) for the garden 9 years ago but apart from laying a few slabs near to the house, levelling a small circle for a bit of grass (can’t really call it a lawn) and putting down some gravel, that was it.
The plot was then left to someone else to maintain. I took over again two years ago.
Eighteen months ago I separated the plot from the house with a fence, leaving a small area of gravelled garden for the house. For the next seven months, other priorities took over and it was left to its own devices. Extreme bad weather followed; then last spring I started on the job with a vengeance. Such a warm dry summer has slowed progress and impatience is starting to set in.
The slowing down has had some advantages. I have accumulated lots of plants, most of them sown as seeds but some divisions and cuttings of plants from the garden at home and a couple of bought in plants. I’m getting good at reviving plants from the ‘dead and dying’ counter at the local DIY shed and garden centres. There they only cost from a few pence to about £4 or £5, sometimes for large plants that would’ve cost £££s earlier in the season and plenty of times they contain more than one plant squashed into a pot. I once got a dying alpine strawberry plant for £1 it turned out when prised apart to have 45 plants in one small pot, no wonder it looked like it was dying! They have been multiplying ever since; needless to say alpine strawberries are on the list of plants just ready to plant out when the ground is cleared. I am hoping they make good ground cover.
Another advantage of the slow down is that I have gained a real sense of the contours of the plot. I wouldn’t have said it sloped much, but it is on the side of a hill and looks as if sometime in the past there has been an attempt to terrace the ground. Walking about the plot has shown natural paths, the obvious lines that walking around has revealed. The plan will now be modified to take this into account, something I couldn’t have done on a faster time scale.
It’s early in the year to have collected hawthorn berries today, but they are falling from the trees naturally. I will scarify them and hope that enough of them germinate to plant a hedge along the plot edge. The hope is that a hedge can begin to establish before the rickety fence finally falls down. The plan is to plant the seeds but also to put in some hardwood cuttings too. The bottom end of the plot can’t yet be planted. As soon as the leaves have fallen from the trees they need radical surgery and need space for the branches to come down. Just one hazel plant has branches that overhand by seven metres. The rest are bigger. A mix of coppicing and pollarding the trees should revive them and provide plenty of wood for use in the garden and a fire at home.
P.S. This post originally started with the word Today. It has taken me three days to work out how to post a picture with a label! Must do it a bit more often until I remember how.
P.S. This post originally started with the word Today. It has taken me three days to work out how to post a picture with a label! Must do it a bit more often until I remember how.

hi -Great work
ReplyDeleteThanks for the support Dave
ReplyDelete