Sunday, 25 March 2012

Hedge planted

First Step

Last Friday I planted 50, 2 year old (1+1) bare root hedge plants.
Step two















Visible progress!


Step three




There are 26 Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna), 6 Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), 6 Common Dogwood (Cornus sanguine), 6 Crab Apple (Malus sylvestris) and 6 Hazel (Corylus avellana).





Step four

 
 
 
 
 
Between the plants I pushed a few cuttings off the trees that were pruned and scattered Hawthorn and Holly berries collected last season amongst the base of the trees.
 
 
Planted
The biggest challenge they face in establishing is possible lack of rain. It has been a really dry spring, so I’m hoping for some more rain. The saving grace may be that they are planted out of direct sun at the hottest part of the day and at the bottom of a slight slope.
It took six hours to clear the line of the hedge and get the plants in. It was incredibly satisfying to get this done.

It is good to see the fruit tree buds opening and that the annuals have germinated. Spring was definitely in the air. A pair of blackbirds frolicked all around and I was watched by the ever present robin. There was a few bees around too when the sun was shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment